Top40-Charts presents the best and worst national charts of 2004 (according to our users votes).
The Worst chart
Greece, less than 1%
According to Top40 Charts users, 72% of the voters have chosen the Greek Chart as the worst for the 2004 (last year the
percentage was 61%). Also the Greek Chart had the lowest number of positive votes.
We tried to find why people all over the world believe that this chart is the worst for another year. We found this:
June 27, 2004 (Week 27th)
1. Come Along Now - Despina Vandi
2. Fame Story No11 (2004) - Fame Story Band
3. Shake It - Sakis Rouvas
4. Wild Dances - Ruslana
5. Fame Story No12 (2004) - Fame Story Band
6. Fame Story No13 (2004) - Fame Story Band
7. Fame Story No7 (2004) - Fame Story Band
8. Left Outside Alone - Anastacia
9. Fame Story No8 (2004) - Fame Story Band
10. Fame Story No9 (2004) - Fame Story Band
11. Fame Story No10 (2004) - Fame Story Band
12. Mila Mou Gia Agapi - Nikos Ziogalas
13. Fame Story No3 (2004) - Fame Story Band
14. Yeah - Usher
15. Fame Story No1 (2004) - Fame Story Band
16. Fame Story No4 (2004) - Fame Story Band
17. Fame Story No5 (2004) - Fame Story Band
18. Remember - Summer Love
19. Fame Story No2 (2004) - Fame Story Band
20. Pump It Up - Danzel
Even the American Idol creator, Simon Fuller, has not ever imagined something similar! 12 'Fame story' tracks, 1 Pop Star
(Danzel, Belgium) = 13 Pop Star tracks in a week, is a unique record! (For the chart-maker, 2-4 tracks of this kind every week
is something usual in the Top20). Moreover, if you add the two 'Eurovision' tracks, then you can easily conclude that TV in
Greece dominates the market according to the Chart maker.
Still, this is only one side of the moon, probably the dark! If we take another look, we will discover another music
reality, a different music culture that has nothing to do with Pop Star tracks. Data provided to us by the iTunes Apple GREEK
Store (many thanks to Apple Store Officials for their valuable help to this article) disclose to us a bright side...
This is the Apple GREEK Store (sales) for this week (13/12/2004):
1. Galvanize - The Chemical Brothers
2. Encore/Numb - Linkin Park & Jay-Z
3. Welcome To My Truth - Anastacia
4. The Reason - Hoobastank
5. Pain - Jimmy Eat World
6. Lose Breath - Destiny's Child
7. Girls - Prodigy
8. Mia Diadromi - Natassa Theodoridou
9. Just Be - DJ Tiesto
10. Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid 20
As you understand, the Greeks buy different things and the Greek Chart has many errors. TV in Greece has the power to
'create' a hit without anybody buying it or even worse nobody listen to it!
The system which the Singles Chart is compiled
is very old (primitive) and it is not representative for the Greeks.
Our voters give us the motive to search and found the 'Reason': the Greek Music Industry has not established CHART RULES.
As a result, the MEDIA take the leading role (especially TV) and form a 'popular' music culture. For example the 'under-value'
products (Fame Story Songs) in any other market have limits in their entry-numbers (quantity) and now in the biggest markets
are having limitations about their prices!
According to business terms, the Greek market is manipulated (by Radio/TV) and oligopolic Media forces that own the Greek
market. So, the 'Greek Chart' flect the business interests and not the real consumers (the comparison with Apple iTunes Greek
Sales/Track Chart gives a small example of what is happening).
The best of the best national charts for 2004 (review):
| Best Charts | | Problematic Charts | | Worst Chart | | Emerging Charts/Markets |