Vienna, VA (Top40 Charts/ Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts)
Wolf Trap Foundation for the Performing Arts announces the bulk of its 2011-2012 season at The Barns at Wolf Trap, Wolf Trap's sophisticated yet casual indoor venue that provides a distinctively intimate experience with the arts and boasts some of the finest acoustics in the Mid-Atlantic region. While the following represents the bulk of the season, there will be several additions and revisions throughout the fall.
Exciting Barns Debuts
- Roots-rock guitar/bass duo The Wood Brothers, known for their characteristic rock beats and easygoing folk melodies;
- Celtic-influenced Virginia rock band Carbon Leaf, whose live performances have been compared to Dave Matthews Band and R.E.M.;
- Americana/roots female harmonizing trio Red Molly;
- Musical trio GrooveLily tells the "what if" story of Sleeping Beauty awaking in modern times;
- The critically acclaimed Hot Club of San Francisco, playing unique gypsy jazz with a refreshing energy
Innovative, Eclectic, Buzzworthy Performances
- Taking cues from her famous Americana father, Levon, Amy Helm leads bluegrass, blues, and gospel group Ollabelle;
- The Washington area's best jazz musicians come together to form Chaise Lounge, featuring glowing arrangements and the soft vocals of Marilyn Older;
- High energy country-rock duo Foster and Lloyd released a new album in May 2011 and are performing together for the first time after 20 years apart;
- Civil War Voices weaves true stories with traditional music to give audience members a unique look at one of the most divisive eras in American history;
- Artful mandolin playing from GRAMMY-winner Sam Bush
The Barns features further eclecticism with a capella sensations The Bobs performing well-loved hits, GRAMMY-winning South African ensemble Ladysmith Black Mambazo, Grand Ole Opry veterans Mountain Heart, blues slide guitarist Sonny Landreth, jazz pianist John Eaton, and a fusion of world guitar during International Guitar Night.
Rising and Iconic Talent
- Based out of the musical hotbed that is Brooklyn, NY, Ari Hest performs sweet, unhurried melodies that have earned him comparisons to John Mayer and Dave Matthews;
- GRAMMY-winning vocalist and performer Melissa Manchester;
- Platinum-selling pop pianist Jim Brickman returns with his signature romantic style;
- Singer/songwriter and GRAMMY-winner Paula Cole, known for her hit songs "I Don't Want to Wait" and "Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?"
- Original '60s blues revivalist Chris Smither
Additional contemporary rock artists include Eric Brace & Last Train Home featuring country lyrics paired with rock 'n' roll; traditional American music from Bill Kirchen & Too Much Fun and GRAMMY-winning new age musician George Winston.
- Noel "Paul" Stookey of Peter, Paul & Mary returns to perform his passionate, uplifting folk songs;
- The charming Livingston Taylor, known for his engaging persona both on and off stage;
- Famed guitarists Robbie Schaefer and Ellis Paul team up for a night of contemporary folk music;
- Witty storyteller and singer/songwriter Tom Chapin returns;
- Five-time GRAMMY winner Peter Yarrow of Peter, Paul & Mary
Additional folk at The Barns includes '60s-inspired folk/pop from Girlyman, Canadian acoustic-folk duo Dala, folk rock goddess Catie Curtis with acoustic songwriter Meg Hutchinson; acoustic folk quartet SGGL, harmonizing trio Red Molly, multi-instrumentalist John McCutcheon, sister folk duo The Nields, GRAMMY-Award winning eclectic duo Buskin & Batteau (and GRAMMY lifetime achievement award winner) Tom Paxton.
The Discovery Series
Wolf Trap's annual Discovery Series at The Barns returns with eight performances for the 2011-2012 season from several of today's most acclaimed chamber musicians. The Ahn Trio kicks off the series in October, celebrating Founder's Day with a new Wolf Trap co-commission: BraziliAHN. Croatian guitarist Robert Belinic makes his Wolf Trap debut in November. In February the East Coast Chamber Orchestra (ECCO), featuring 17 talented young musicians, bring their passionate playing to The Barns, followed by a visual tour of America's treasured landscapes accompanied by live music in America's National Parks: Through the Artist's Lens. The internationally renowned Jerusalem String Quartet and distinctive Chicago Symphony Orchestra Brass Quintet are featured in March, followed by violinist Rachel Barton Pine in April, who made her solo debut at age seven and arrives at The Barns for the first time. Pianist Joyce Yang concludes the series in late April with an intimate performance of Bach, Schumann, and Brahms.
Wolf Trap is pleased to announce several debut and returning Celtic-influenced performances. Toronto-based Celtic rock band Enter The Haggis brings their unforgettable ballads and punk-rock beats to The Barns for the first time. Reviving traditional Scottish folk music is Battlefield Band, returning to The Barns. Solas returns to The Barns, named "one of the top Irish-folk groups on either side of the Atlantic" by The Washington Post, as does Cherish the Ladies for two performances of traditional Irish music. The Irish Rovers, an award-winning ensemble of six native Irish musicians, put on a non-stop, high-spirited display of traditional Celtic folk. Celtic Crossroads combine more than 25 instruments, seven musicians, and dancers with fusions of traditional Irish music, bluegrass, gypsy, and jazz for an explosion of youthful energy.
Laughs and Mind-Bending Entertainment
Comedian Steve Solomon performs one of the longest running one-man shows in Broadway history, My Mother's Italian, My Father's Jewish & I'm Home for the Holidays! Energetic improv group Chicago City Limits creates ingenious satirical comedy with cues from the audience in what the New York Post calls "the funniest show in town." World-famous illusionist The Amazing Kreskin returns to The Barns to mystify your mind with amazingly accurate predictions and sixth sense. The Second City, the world's premier comedy club/theatre and school of improvisation that has produced scores of comedy greats including Tina Fey and Steve Carell, brings their side-splitting comedy show to The Barns. Nationally recognized comedians unite for the 25th Annual Evening of Comedy in a night of hysterical standup.
The 2011-2012 season also includes a number of local artists hailing from the DC/MD/VA. area. Sensational Broadway star and Virginia native Jeri Sager returns to The Barns, as does Vienna, Virginia native Robbie Schaefer, who has performed at The Barns, Wolf Trap Children's Theatre-in-the-Woods, and at The Filene Center with his band Eddie From Ohio. The District's most talented artists perform a Tribute to Rod Stewart by Bandhouse Gigs, including WAMMY winners and gold record sellers. The Washington area's best jazz musicians come together in Chaise Lounge, reviving '60s-era big band music. SGGL, one of the area's favorite acoustic bands that originally formed at the University of Virginia, play their tightly interwoven harmonies and witty song lyrics.
General Admission Dance
The Barns also offers patrons the chance to dance to live music. Paul Cebar & The Milwaukeeans perform high-energy dance music that draws on sounds from around the world. D.C.-based quartet The Grandsons offer an exuberating blend that The Washington Post calls "a genre-hopping, sax-streaked mElange of party music." Louisiana band Beausoleil avec Michael Doucet have received 11 GRAMMY nominations and multiple wins for their innovative Cajun music, leading Prairie Home Companion's Garrison Keillor to call them "the best Cajun band in the world."
While this represents the bulk of the season, there will be additions and revisions throughout the fall. For updated information, patrons are encouraged to visit http://www.wolftrap.org.
Tickets for The Barns at Wolf Trap's 2011-2012 performances can be purchased online at http://www.wolftrap.org, by phone at 1(877)WOLFTRAP or at The Barns at Wolf Trap Box Office located at 1635 Trap Road, Vienna, Virginia, 22182. For more information, please call Wolf Trap at (703) 255-1868.
ALL SHOWS ON SALE AUGUST 6 AT NOON, with Exception of Discovery Series which has been On-Sale since Early this Year