London, UK. (Top40 Charts/ Epic Records) - The force of nature that answers to the name Paloma Faith
is one that has been known in underground arts circles in London for some time. As an ex magician's assistant, trained contemporary dancer, St Martin's college alumni with an MA in theatre direction, performer in burlesque shows and actress, Paloma has been mixing media throughout her short adult life.
A few years ago she introduced music, her primary love, into the equation, at first mimicking the blues and soul singers she so admired, but eventually finding her own voice.
It is this extraordinary voice and persona that you can hear for the first time when her debut single 'Stone Cold Sober' is rush released by Epic on June 15, 2009.
On Sunday 3rd May Paloma will play the second in a series of special live events at which she and her special guests will present a complete evening of entertainment. Between 8pm and 11, the Hoxton Bar and Kitchen, 2- 4 Hoxton Sq, London N1 will host a Paloma themed night where she and her special guests Scroobius Pip and Eliza Doolittle will perform.
Tickets are ?8/concessions ?7 and Paloma's stated dress code is 'dress like there's no tomorrow'.
Inspired by iconic figures like Etta James, Billie Holiday, David Lynch and Tim Burton, Paloma Faith brings a whole new dimension to the phrase 'the real deal'. Here is where the story begins...
'With huge 'don't kill Bambi' eyes and Beat-Girl insouciance issuing from Betty Page lips, Paloma Faith is a born performer' - ID
'I can be wilder than the wind 190 miles an hour, I'm in a whole other dimension, dancing doubles on the floor, You think I'm crazy, a little bit hazy But I'm stone cold sober' - Paloma Faith
Paloma Faith plays live: Sunday 3rd May 2009 - Hoxton Bar & Kitchen, London
TEN RANDOM FACTS ABOUT PALOMA FAITH
(plus an extra one for her already burgeoning fan club)
* She is half Spanish, half English
* She appears in the new Terry Gilliam film 'The Imagination of Dr Parnassus'
* Her favourite performance artist is Ryan Styles
* She began singing in cabaret and burlesque clubs
* She has a track on the forthcoming Basement Jaxx album
* When she was a magician's assistant she would be sawn in half on stage
* She was born in Hackney
* Paloma has had lots of interesting jobs, including appearing as a live ghost on a ghost train and working as as assistant in Agent Provocateur
* She once described her early performances as 'David Lynch meets William Blake at the circus'.
* She appeared in the St Trinian's film as Andrea the Emo
* She once joked about slumming it at festivals - 'Anywhere you can't wear stilettos just isn't worth going'.