New York, NY (Top40 Charts)
Los Angeles indie-choral group The Silver
Lake Chorus will release their debut self-titled album on June 16th. Produced by Australian singer-songwriter Ben Lee, The Silver
Lake Chorus' new full-length features big choral arrangements of rare and new tracks written for the chorus by Sia, Tegan and Sara, The New Pornographers, Ben Gibbard (Death Cab for Cutie), Justin Vernon (Bon Iver), and many more.
Lake Chorus just premiered "Heavy Star Movin'" (Written exclusively for the group by Wayne Coyne & Steven Drozd of The Flaming Lips) at Consequence of Sound, who said "the hauntingly beautiful track evokes a surreal, out-of-body experience, as though one's consciousness is tumbling aimlessly through a color-splashed alternate universe."
Lake Chorus has been embraced by Stereogum, Pitchfork and Paste Magazine, who said "With deeply rooted harmonies and varied voices, TSLC offers original songs that rightfully require more than one listen for the sole purpose of catching all they have to offer."
Producer Ben Lee
first heard the chorus sing their arrangement of Beck's "Lonesome Tears" at an early rehearsal and was blown away by how the song had been "reinvented into this massive Russian Gregorian chant." Immediately, he got an idea: instead of singing covers, Lee suggested the chorus take a completely original indie rock approach to the ancient choral art form. He signed on to produce their debut album and reached out to other artists and friends, asking them to write new music for the chorus.
Songs soon poured in from artists like Aimee Mann, The Bird and the Bee, John Roderick (The Long Winters), A.C. Newman (The New Pornographers), and many more.
Their self-titled album is out June 16th via Six Degrees Records, pre-order here: https://thesilverlakechorus.bandcamp.com/
1. From The Snow-Tipped Hills (composed by Justin Vernon/Bon Iver)
2. Hold Up For (composed by Tegan & Sara)
3. Break It Down (composed by Inara George
& Greg Kurstin/The Bird and The Bee)
Star Movin' (composed by Wayne Coyne & Steven Drozd/The Flaming Lips)
5. Same Song (composed by John Roderick/The Long Winters)
6. Nervous Soul (composed by Ben Gibbard/Death Cab For Cutie)
7. Salted Wound (composed by Sia, Track & Field and Oliver
8. Overboard (composed by Ben Lee)
9. Home Come Home (composed by Heather Ogilvy and Michael B. Wells)
10. Wreckage (composed by Carl Newman/New Pornographers)
11. Easy To Die (composed by Aimee Mann
& Paul Bryan)