LONDON (AP) - Former Beatle George
Harrison says he is "active and feeling very well," denying published reports that cancer has brought him close to death. Harrison and his wife, Olivia, released a statement Monday after a British tabloid newspaper reported that the star had confided to the Beatles' former producer, George
Martin, that he expected to die soon.
The couple said they were "disappointed and disgusted" by the Mail on Sunday's suggestion that the former Beatle was close to death. "The reports were unsubstantiated, untrue, insensitive and uncalled for, especially as Mr. Harrison is active and feeling very well in spite of the health challenges he has had this year," the statement said. Harrison, 58, underwent a course of radiation therapy last month in Switzerland. He issued a statement at the time telling his fans not to worry and refused to comment on reports that he was battling a brain tumor.