New York, NY (Top40 Charts)
Robert Glasper Experiment has released “Find You,” the powerful first single from the groundbreaking, GRAMMY-winning band’s new album ArtScience (Blue Note). The eclectic album finds the Experiment getting down to its essence, with each of the band members-keyboardist Robert Glasper, saxophonist and vocalist Casey Benjamin, bassist Derrick Hodge, and drummer Mark Colenburg-delivering the vocals and sharing in the production and songwriting on the album. On ArtScience, the Experiment sounds like a bit of everything that's vibrant and challenging and great about music woven into a billowing fabric of jazz, funk, soul, rock, hip-hop, blues, disco, electronic, and pop.
ArtScience is available for pre-order now on iTunes and Amazon, and will be released on September
16. Fans who pre-order the download will instantly receive the lead single “Find You” which is also available as a single on streaming services. The album’s cover features an illustration by contemporary artist Hebru Brantley.
After a year of touring that has taken Glasper across North America, South America, Australia, Europe, Asia and the Middle East, The Experiment has announced an NYC album release show at Bowery Ballroom on October 3. Further fall touring will be announced shortly. Visit robertglasper.com for more tour info.
After delivering two star-studded, chart-topping, R&B GRAMMY-winning volumes of their acclaimed Black Radio
series on which they collaborated with everyone from Erykah Badu
to Norah Jones
to Snoop Dogg, the band pondered where to go next. The answer? “You do you,” says Glasper with a chuckle. “People need to hear what the Experiment sounds like, just us—know what our vibe is and can be.
“Find You” is a jaw-dropping tour-de-force co-written by all four Experiment members that charges through various moods and genres. The track features Hodge on lead vocals as well as a shredding guitar solo by Michael Severson. It closes with an impassioned plea for justice from Glasper’s son Riley. “He's speaking his mind,” explains Glasper. “He was 5 and the Michael Brown case came on the news and he started going off.” Indeed, Riley speaks to the anger many feel: “It's not fair! We should let other people live! ... Let's try to make the polices better ... like real polices that help. No gun shooting!”
Glasper himself has been keeping incredibly busy as of late. Last year he reconvened his acclaimed acoustic trio for the GRAMMY-nominated album Covered, which was recorded live at Capitol Studios with bassist Vicente Archer and drummer Damion Reid. Glasper has also scored Don Cheadle’s Miles Ahead film, reinterpreted the Miles Davis catalog on Everything
Is Beautiful, played keys all over albums from Kendrick Lamar’s To Pimp A Butterfly to Anderson .Paak’s Malibu to Maxwell’s blackSUMMERS’night, and is currently collaborating on forthcoming albums from Herbie Hancock, Common, and Mac Miller.
The track listing for ArtScience is as follows:
1. This Is Not Fear (D. Hodge, R. Glasper, C. Benjamin, M. Colenburg)
2. Thinkin Bout You (R. Glasper, D. Hodge, M. Ayers)
3. Day To Day (C. Benjamin)
4. No One Like You (R. Glasper, C. Benjamin)
5. You And Me (R. Glasper, D. Hodge, C. Benjamin, M. Colenburg)
6. Tell Me A Bedtime Story (H. Hancock)
7. Find You (C. Benjamin, D. Hodge, R. Glasper, M. Colenburg)
8. In My Mind (R. Glasper, M. Colenburg)
9. Hurry Slowly (C. Benjamin)
10. Written In Stone (C. Benjamin, J. Lake, R. Glasper, R. Coleman)
11. Let's Fall In Love (R. Glasper, M. Vorzimer, A. Niambi)
12. Human (J. Harris, T. Lewis)