New York, NY (Top40 Charts)
The summer really hots up in August, as Arrow Video releases a special edition of an 80s classic, a white-knuckle thriller, a splatter horror masterpiece, a box set of crime classics, a rare Italian sword-and-sandal epic, and an amazing new limited edition steelbook.
First up, one of the most wildly popular horror movies of all-time, Stuart
Gordon's enduring splatter-comedy classic Re-Animator returns to Blu-ray in a stunning restoration packed with special features. According to the distributor (MVD), this awesome package is officially sold out already, which means fans will need to hunt it down in a hurry if they hope to own it.
This month also sees the Blu-ray release of the star-studded, action-packed crime thriller Ronin, from master director John Frankenheimer (Seconds, The Manchurian Candidate), starring Robert De Niro (Taxi Driver, Heat), Jean Reno (Léon: The Professional) and Sean Bean (Stormy Monday, Game of Thrones). A fantastically entertaining heist-gone-wrong crime caper, featuring one of the greatest car chases ever committed to film, Ronin is presented in a brand new, cinematographer-approved 4K restoration, along with a host of behind the scenes featurettes, with a reversible sleeve, and a collector's booklet with the first pressing.
August also sees the Dual Format release of controversial splatter classic The Slayer, JS Cardone's gruesome 80s chiller about a group of friends trapped on a remote island and stalked by a crazed killer. The infamous slasher film, previously only been available on home video in truncated or full screen versions, comes lovingly restored from the original negative, in a stunning transfer that will be a revelation to fans both old and new; and the first pressing includes a collector's booklet with brand new writing on the film.
Then there is the Dual Format release of New Battles Without Honour And Humanity - The Complete Trilogy, the 1970s Japanese crime classic series making its UK English-language home video debut. From legendary Battle
Royale director Kinji Fukasaku, starring Bunta Sugawara in three separate yakuza stories set in various parts of Japan, the films are hard-boiled and action packed, and the limited edition set features new subtitle translations, a host of extras and a collectible book.
Next up, the Dual Format release Erik the Conqueror, a 1961 sword-and-sandal epic from Italian supremo Mario
Bava, a rare detour from the master director away from genre thrillers like Rabid Dogs and A Bay of Blood. Inspired by the Kirk Douglas
hit The Vikings, this is a tale of treachery, heroism and forbidden love starring George
Ardisson (Juliet of the Spirits) in the title role, and Hollywood legend Cameron Mitchell (Blood and Black
Lace). Restored in high definition for the first time, and packed with extras, as well as a collector's booklet with the first pressing, this is a must for Bava fans and lovers of spectacular swashbucklers.
And finally, after producing Stuart
Gordon's hit Re-Animator, Brian Yuzna (Bride of Re-Animator, Return of the Living Dead III) turned his hand to directing with 1989's Society, and gave birth to one of the ickiest, most original body horror shockers of all time. This time, Arrow delivers the film in the form a sleek sexy limited edition steelbook, sure to sell out quickly.
RE-ANIMATOR [LIMITED EDITION] (August 8)
HERBERT WEST HAS A GOOD HEAD ON HIS SHOULDERS... AND ANOTHER ONE ON HIS DESK.
One of the most wildly popular horror movies of all-time, Stuart
Gordon's enduring splatter-comedy classic Re-Animator returns to Blu-ray in a stunning restoration packed with special features!
When medical student Dean Cain advertises for a roommate, he soon finds one in the form of Dr. Herbert West. Initially a little eccentric, it some becomes clear that West entertains some seriously outlandish theories - specifically, the possibility of re-animating the dead. It's not long before Dean finds himself under West's influence, and embroiled in a serious of ghoulish experiments which threaten to go wildly out of control...
Based on H.P. Lovecraft's classic terror tale Herbert West - Reanimator and featuring a standout performance from Jeffrey Combs as the deliciously deranged West, Re-Animator remains the ground-zero of '80s splatter mayhem and one of the genre's finest hours.
2-DISC LIMITED EDITION CONTENTS
- 4K restorations of the Unrated and Integral versions
- High Definition Blu-ray (1080p) presentation
- Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
- Exclusive digipak packaging featuring newly commissioned artwork by Justin Erickson
- Collector's booklet featuring new writing on the film by journalist Michael Gingold
- Re-Animator comic book
- 4 x postcard-sized lobby card reproductions
DISC 1 - UNRATED VERSION
- Unrated version [86 mins]
- Mono, Stereo
and 5.1 DTS-HD MA Surround Audio Options
- Isolated Score
new audio commentary with director Stuart Gordon
and actors Graham Skipper and Jesse
Merlin of Re-Animator: The Musical
- Audio commentary with Stuart
- Audio commentary with producer Brian Yuzna, actors Jeffrey Combs, Barbara
Crampton, Bruce Abbott and Robert Sampson
- Re-Animator: Resurrectus - feature-length documentary on the making of the film, featuring extensive interviews with cast and crew
- Interviews with director Stuart Gordon
and producer Brian Yuzna, writer Dennis
Paoli, composer Richard Band and former Fangoria
editor Tony Timpone
discussion with composer Richard Band
Crampton in Conversation - the Re-Animator star sits down with journalist Alan Jones for this career-spanning 2015 interview
- The Catastrophe of Success: Stuart Gordon
and The Organic Theater - director Stuart Gordon
discusses his early theater roots and his continued commitment to the stage
- Theater of Blood - Re-Animator: The Musical lyricist Mark Nutter on adapting the cult classic for musical theater
- Extended Scenes
- Deleted Scene
- Trailer & TV Spots
- Still Gallery
- Screenplay (BD-ROM Content)
DISC 2 - INTEGRAL VERSION - LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE
- Integral Version, available in the US for the first time! [105 mins]
- 5.1 DTS-HD MA Surround Audio
- A Guide to Lovecraftian Cinema - Chris Lackey, host of the H.P. Lovecraft Literary Podcast, provides a comprehensive look at the many cinematic incarnations of Lovecraft's work
- Doug Bradley's Spinechillers: Herbert West-Reanimator - actor Jeffrey Combs reads H.P. Lovecraft's original classic short story
'RE-ANIMATOR® ' THE COMIC - LIMITED EDITION EXCLUSIVE
- 92-page perfect-bound booklet containing Re-Animator, the original 1991 comic book adaptation of the movie, reprinted in its entirety
Street Date: 08/08/17
PreBook Date: 06/20/17
Label: Arrow Video »
Run Time: 86 mins
Number of Discs: 2
Year of Production: 1985
Actors: Jeffrey Combs, Bruce Abbott, Barbara