NEW YORK (www.paulvandyk.com) - Grammy nominated artist, producer and legendary DJ Paul van Dyk will release the double mix CD The Politics of Dancing 2 on Tuesday, September
20, 2005 through Mute Records. The CD marks van Dyk's first mix compilation in four years, since 2001's The Politics of Dancing. Paul also returns to Central Park this Saturday, August 20th for Made Event in Central Park presents Paul van Dyk for the 3rd year in a row.
Politics – nothing to do with dance music? Paul van Dyk's first installment of Politics Of Dancing established his belief that dancing is a political act and dance music can very well be political. He should know. As someone who enjoyed little freedom in his native East Berlin before escaping over the wall to the West, he understood all too well that radios and dance music are windows to freedom for many young people in repressive societies. His own experience has led him to use the global youth culture platform provided by dance music to voice his political opinions, such as his vocal opposition to the war in Iraq, to encourage active participation in democracy, such as his Rock the Vote Tour in 2004, and to help fight poverty by supporting social care networks for the disadvantaged from India's Mumbai province (Akanksha) to New York (Ground Hero Kids) to his native Berlin in partnership with the German Red Cross (Rueckenwind). And in contrast to the popular image of the 'global superstar DJ', much of van Dyk's political work goes on behind the scenes as in his private conferences with leaders of the main German political parties.
Politics of Dancing 2 contains van Dyk's new original single 'The Other Side;" van Dyk wrote the song in response to the devastating Tsunami which hit Southeast Asia in December of last year and killed over 150,000 people. Van Dyk felt it was important to recognize that so many people were instantly affected by death and the loss of loved ones. "The Other Side" expresses the feeling of still being with a person who has passed away in one's thoughts and expresses the hope of seeing that person again on "The Other Side." The single will also include remixes by Deep Dish, Mark Spoon and Martin Roth.
The Politics of Dancing 2 is arguably van Dyk's best compilation yet, and shows how far he has embraced new digital technology. The majority of the tracks on The Politics of Dancing 2 have been reworked, remixed, rearranged or edited by van Dyk to form this unique compilation. The melodic, slower rhythms of CD 1 include tracks by Jose Zamora, Shiloh, Whiteroom, and Mr. Sam, while the tougher beats of CD2, feature tracks and remixes from the likes of Jose Amnesia, Angello & Ingrosso, Marco V, and James Holden. The end result is a stellar mix by one of dance music's most exceptional figures.
Last year, van Dyk made history by nabbing one of the first Grammy nominations in the new category for Best Electronic/Dance Album for his artist album, Reflections, which includes "Time of Our Lives" as featured in HBO promos, in The Sisterhood Of The Traveling Pants and in the current Landrover TV ads and "Connected" as featured in Motorola's global TV ad campaign. He has been hailed by BPM Magazine as 'America's Favorite DJ,' 'Best Music Maker' by DJ Magazine, has won 3 Dancestar and 3 IDMA Awards in the past two years and won the Ariel Award (Mexico's version of the Oscar) for his soundtrack to the film Zurdo. His partnership with 'Rock the Vote' to encourage America's youth to exercise their right to vote in the 2004 presidential elections marked the first time an electronic artist became involved in the campaign with a national tour and he joined other artists such as Bono, Mary J. Blige, Lenny Kravitz and the Black Eyed Peas in the effort.
In support of the release of The Politics of Dancing 2, Paul van Dyk will be touring the U.S. in the following locations:
Fri 8/19 Washington DC Nation
Sat 8/20 NYC Central Park Summer Stage (6pm-10pm) www.madeevent.com
Sat 8/20 Miami Club Space (late, 2am-5am)
Wed 9/21 Los Angeles Mayan Palace
Thur 9/22 Denver The Church
Fri 9/23 Phoenix Myst
Sat 9/24 San Francisco Loveparade San Francisco (www.loveparadesf.org)
Sat 9/24 San Francisco 1015
The Politics of Dancing 2 Tracklisting
01. Alex Gold - String Theory - Xtravaganza
02. Tranquility Base - Getting Away - Anjuna Beats / Vale Music S.L.
03. Calmec - Tangerine - Gesture Music
04. Jose Zamora - Transatlantic - Baroque Records
05. Shiloh - Dream On - Sog Records/ Baroque
06. Walsh and Coutre feat. Holly - Burn - Sog Chrome/Baroque
07. Thomas Datt - Alone - Supreme Music / Discover Records
08. Lolo - Why - Banshee
09. Purple Haze - Adrenalin - Spinnin
10. Kuffdam and Plant - Summerdream - Above the Sky/Vandit
11. Filo and Peri feat. Fisher - Closer Now - Empire State 1
12. The Unknown - White Water - Anjuna Beats/ Disco Imperio
13. Marc van Linden - Forbidden Love - Midway Records
14. Whiteroom - Someday Instrumental - Armada Music/Woom Recordings
15. Kyau vs .Albert - Falling anywhere - Anjuna Beats/Euphonic
16. Mr. Sam - Lyteo - Black Hole Recordings
17. Solange - Messages - Vandit
01. Paul van Dyk - The Other Side – Mute
02. Jose Amnesia - Second Day Vandit
03. Steve Agnello & Sebastian Ingrosso - Yeah Size Records / L`a Mode
04. Simon and Shaker - Make it - King Records/ Beat Freak Recordings
05. Yellow Blackbird - Superfly - Sog Chrome/Baroque
06. Giuseppe Ottaviani - Linking People - Vandit
07. Marco V - More than a life away - Be Yourself
08. Thomas Bronszwaer - Close Horizon - Vandit/ United Recordings B.V
09. Mark Norman - T34 Black Hole Recordings
10. CJ Stone- Shine - Bass Bumpers/Quake Records/High Note/Magic
11. Santiago Nino - Believe - Critical Rhythym/ Aurium
12. Perasma - Swing to Harmony - 3Beat / DK Records
13. Dallas - Superstar - Universal AB/16 Inch Records
14. Wellenrausch - Carry On Torsten - AlphaOmegaRecords
15. James Holden - Nothing - SKINT Records / Loaded Records
"The Other Side" CD Single
01. Radio Mix
02. Original Mix
03. Deep Dish Other Than This Side Remix
04. Mark Spoon vs. Mobilegazer
05. Martin Roth Mix
06. Breaks Mix
07. Mark Spoon vs. Mobilegazer "Sunrise Mix"
"The Other Side" 2 x 12" Tracklisting
A1. Original Mix
B1. Martin Roth Mix
B2. Mark Spoon vs. Mobilegazer "Sundown Mix"
C1. Deep Dish Other Than This Side Remix
D1. Breaks Mix